The question hangs in the air. It asked by countless people across the world.
Melenki “Why is Good Friday called good?”
That question reverberates with me each year as Easter approaches. I wonder how I can celebrate a sham of a trial, an innocent man sentenced to die, a gruesome death, and all for me.
But isn’t this the way God chooses to work? The living contradiction of victory from apparent failure, of life from death, of ultimate good from evil circumstances. His word confirms His ways,
“But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.” 1 Corinthians 1:27
So how do we celebrate the day that marks the greatest sacrifice for our greatest need? Here are some things to ponder, grieve, and rejoice during this day:
1. http://centralenfieldclc.org.uk/index.php/creative/fxfvda-bmumra/jfeeja/rzfa/3714.html Mourn the sin that sent our Lord to the cross. Acknowledge that your sin sent Him there, to die on a tree. Our sin, be it what the world calls evil or what the world applauds, is why He hung there. See your hopeless, helpless self and beg forgiveness from a gracious loving God.
2. Pindobaçu Thank Jesus that He was willing to go to the cross. He didn’t have to do it. In Luke Jesus said He had more than twelve legions or more than 72,000 angels at His disposal. He was not in a desperate situation. He was right where He planned to be. Thank Him that He walked a difficult painful road, taking the penalty for our sin, so that we can live in eternity with Him.
3. Consider Peter. He denied knowing Jesus three times. In what ways have you denied Jesus with your life?
4. Consider Pilate. Are you washing your hands? Are you choosing to follow the crowd and walk away from Jesus? Are you trying to blame others for your choice? You have a choice. What are you going to do with Jesus? Are you going to choose to live for Jesus despite your circumstances? Are you going to allow Him access to all your life?
5. Consider the Chief Priests and Scribes. Are you so religious that you can’t see your need for a Savior? Are you so sure that you are good enough that you don’t need forgiveness of sins?
Father God this Good Friday help us all to adjust our thinking so that our lives are transformed by Your love. Captivate us with Your grace and help us to never get over what Jesus did for us on the cross. O God, we are sinful people and so far from You. Thank You for making a way for us to draw near to You. In the precious and AWESOME name of Jesus. Amen.
In honor of celebrating Good Friday and my brand new blog design, I have a give-away. I am going to give a $25 Amazon Gift Card to a random entry. Here is how you enter:
1. Leave a comment about some of your thoughts about Good Friday
2. Share this post on twitter or facebook.
3. Subscribe to the RSS feed or for an e-mail subscription
4. E-mail five friends with a link to my blog inviting them to visit my site.
In your comment tell me which of these things you have done. If you have done all four, you will be entered four times. I am leaving this give-away open until April 24th at 5:00 PM Central Daylight Savings Time. I will post the winner in my April 25th post. Good-luck everyone and thanks for stopping by!